Whether we like it or not, our modern lives expose us to an environmental chemical toxic soup that can have adverse effects on our health. Our bodies, with the remarkable support of the liver, do an admirable job of processing these substances. However, sometimes the burden becomes overwhelming, and our health may suffer as a result. While there are some unavoidable toxins, there are many simple things we can do to support our detoxification systems and pave the way for a healthier life and toxin-free life.
1. Swap your Products for Safer Alternatives! Personal care products are one of the largest culprits of toxins. Our skin is the largest organ of our body and anything that goes on it is absorbed in less than 30 seconds. Consider swapping your shampoo and conditioner, body wash, lotion, makeup, skincare and deodorant. Look for natural alternatives or products certified by organizations like the Environmental Working Group (EWG). Their helpful app allows you to scan products and assess toxicity levels, empowering you to make informed choices.
2. Change your Cleaning Products. Household cleaning products often harbor unnecessary chemicals. Take a closer look at your laundry detergent, as clothes and sheets touch your body all day and night.
3. Hydrate with Clean & Filtered Water! Water is a vital component of our body’s detoxification process. Aim to drink half your body weight in ounces of water per day. An excellent way to kickstart your detox routine is by drinking lemon water in the morning, stimulating your liver and setting a refreshing tone for the day.
4. Prioritize Restorative Sleep. Sleep is a crucial time for our brain to flush out toxins, especially during Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep. Most people need 7-8 hours of sleep to get into REM sleep.
5. Dry Brush. Dry brushing is an inexpensive and effective way to stimulate the lymphatic system, responsible for removing waste from the body. It is best done in the morning before showering.
6. Sweat it Out Daily! Sweating is the best way for our bodies to detoxify. In fact, if you are not a sweater it can be a big red flag! Incorporate daily physical activity to promote sweating, and consider trying out an infrared sauna, an excellent way to support your body’s detox journey.
7. Harness the Power of Castor Oil Pack. Castor oil packs are a fantastic way to support liver function, improve sleep and reduce inflammation. By placing the pack over your liver, you can enjoy the numerous benefits!
While living in an environmental chemical toxic soup may seem daunting, we have the power to make simple swaps that have a profound effect on our health! Embrace the non-toxic lifestyle and embark on a journey to a better you!
To learn more about this topic and many others, sign up for my Functional Medicine Class
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are based on the opinion of the author, unless otherwise noted, and should not be taken as personal medical advice. The information provided is intended to help readers make their own informed health and wellness decisions.